After watching bits and pieces of Donald Trump’s inauguration during class on January 20th, I noticed some students, including myself, were a bit confused by the two-term rule for presidents.
When George Washington became president he chose to serve two terms as president. At the end of his second term, he decided to retire as president. His reasons cited were; he wanted to go home to Mount Vernon, he needed a rest, and he had given enough service to his country. From that time forward presidents followed George Washington and quit after the second term. That is until Franklin Roosevelt became president in 1933. Roosevelt stayed in office for three terms until his death in 1945. After Roosevelt died, the 22nd Amendment was added to limit presidential terms to two terms in office.
That means a president can not serve more than eight years as president. Whether it be in a row or staggered. It makes no difference whether the two terms are consecutive.
I have always thought that a president could serve more than eight years because of Grover Cleveland. Cleveland was the 22nd and 24th President of the United States. He is the only president to serve his eight years, not in a row. I assumed that because he did not serve his terms consecutively that a president could choose to run more than two times. It is not true.
Want to Know Which Presidents Can Not Run Again?
- Thomas Jefferson (president from 1801 to 1809)
- James Madison (president from 1809 to 1817)
- James Monroe (president from 1817 to 1825)
- Andrew Jackson (president from 1829 to 1837)
- Ulysses Grant (president from 1869 to 1877)
- Grover Cleveland (president from 1885 to 1889 and 1893 to 1897)
- Woodrow Wilson (president from 1913 to 1921)
- Dwight Eisenhower (president from 1953 to 1961)
- Ronald Reagan (president from 1981 to 1989)
- Bill Clinton (president from 1993 to 2001)
- George W Bush (president from 2001 to 2009)
What do you think? Will Donald Trump serve two terms as president? Will they be interrupted terms or consecutive? Comment below and remember to keep it friendly!